IRS Form 709: The Federal Gift Tax Return
PRESENTER(s): Monica Haven
This program has been approved NASBA & IRS CPE Credit 2(Taxes)
Oft ignored by the unwitting taxpayer and overlooked by the practitioner, gift tax returns are left unfiled. Find out when these returns are due and how to prepare them. This course will take an in-depth look at a hypothetical client who has made multiple gifts over a period of years, and now seeks your help to comply with all tax reporting requirements.
Many taxpayers made gifts in the last year to transfer substantial assets at little to no Federal gift tax cost to take advantage of the significant federal gift tax exclusion. Proper compliance with the complex gift tax rules remains necessary to protect and preserve the advantage of the current exclusion levels. There is also the threat of coming law changes to reduce the available exclusions.
- Recognize the three elements that make a gift a “gift”.
- Identify which gifts are subject to tax.
- Understand the difference between the gift tax exclusion and the exemption.
- Employ special rules provided for by the gift tax regime that apply to donor spouses, non-resident aliens and expatriates.
- Complete Form 709 based on step-by-step instructions and practice pointers provided by an experienced professional.
- This session will answer What constitutes a gift? Are all gifts taxed?
- What s the difference between the exclusion and the exemption?
- What are the filing requirements for Form 709? Who is liable for the tax?
- How does the gift tax impact the estate & GST tax regimes?
- How is the tax computed? What taxpayer information is needed?
Credits and Other information:
- Recommended CPE credit – 2.0
- Recommended field of study – Tax
- Session Prerequisites and preparation: None
- Session learning level: Basic
- Location: Virtual/Online
- Delivery method: Group Internet Based
- NASBA Sponsor: 146439
- IRS Course ID: PJGWS
- Attendance Requirement: Yes
- Session Duration: 2 Hours
- Case Studies and Live Q&A session with speaker
- PowerPoint presentation for reference
Who Will Benefit:
- Tax Attorneys
- Tax Compliance Managers
- Other Tax Professionals